- Contemporary design is a very popular option for decorating budget hotels. Bright, bold wall colors add a modern look to older properties. Straight lines and innovative storage space (under bed or open closets) add greater functionality to a smaller room.
White bed linens and towels are not only more affordable than prints, but create a cool contrast with other colors in the room. Stainless steel or chrome fixtures add to the modern feel. Although these shiny pieces are more expensive than their plastic counterparts, strategic use of stainless steel for ice buckets and coffee makers will make the guest feel that they are getting more than they paid for.
- Traditional hotel decorating will give guests exactly what they expect. Many elements of a traditional hotel room can be purchased wholesale, cutting costs dramatically. Hotel liquidation outlets are another option for finding quality, gently used furnishings. Make sure to provide adequate lighting for reading and other in-room tasks. Use works by local artists to add regional character to the room.
- Shabby chic decor is both affordable and comfortable. Used couches or chairs can be re-upholstered with soft printed fabric to create a cozy feel. Bedding comfort is an important part of a quality hotel room, and numerous pillows will ensure that guests sleep comfortably. A shaggy rug will feel soft on their feet when they hop out of bed.
Guest room dressers or desks can be purchased cheaply from antique stores or flea markets and painted to match the room’s colors. When shopping second-hand stores, the odds of finding enough matching pieces to decorate each hotel room identically are slim. However, individually decorated rooms are a current trend in boutique hotels. Just ensure that amenities in each room are consistent.
- Protect the furnishings. Remove all the small items from the dressers by either putting them in the drawers or putting them in a box. Move all the furniture away from the walls to the center of the room, and cover everything with a drop cloth. Use this opportunity to vacuum the dust along the base boards and in the corners of the room.
- Start with the trim. Paint the trim first, using a two-inch brush with an angled tip. The angled tip makes it easier to get into the corners and paint the smaller surfaces. Start in one corner of the room and work your way around in a clockwise direction so that you don’t miss any spots. Paint the trim around the windows, the baseboard and the crown molding, if you have one. Also paint the walls in the corners of the room where the roller won’t reach.
- Roll the walls. Start in the same place where you started painting the trim and work around the room in the same direction. Cover the floor with a drop cloth because paint tends to splatter from the roller. Roll in long motions from the top of the wall all the way to the bottom to avoid leaving roller marks.
- Add a second coat of paint after the first has dried thoroughly. Start with the trim, as you did for the first coat. This time, work your way around the room in the opposite direction, so you have a different perspective and can see spots that were missed the first time.
- Reassemble the room. Let the paint dry overnight before putting the furniture back.
- The central function of urban interior design is to create space, sometimes in surprising ways. Combination live/work spaces have a longstanding tradition in inner cities and industrial areas. Renovated warehouses might feature a concrete floor for large-scale artwork or production and an upper loft for a living space. Highrise apartments, upscale condominiums and mixed-use buildings are other innovations in urban living spaces.
- Urban interiors may feature nontraditional home materials and design features. City dwellers use interiors of galvanized steel, concrete floors, metal siding, exposed beams and unfinished surfaces to create a distinctly modern, bohemian look. In upscale urban interiors, however, the look is far more polished, with designer fixtures, sophisticated finishes and innovative small space solutions, such as open floor plans that allow for multifunctional rooms.
- The relative tightness in square footage on many urban interiors demands innovative design strategies. Furniture tends toward the low and modular, with less ornamentation. Accessories may be more utilitarian, including mirrors, lighting features, window treatments, textiles and, as a focal point, a large painting in an area that sees the most entertaining. People may mount bookcases to a wall or create built-ins that surround a door frame. Another strategy is to take advantage of vertical space with tall, narrow shelves.
- Urban interior design is smart design. Tighter or nontraditional spaces force many people to eliminate clutter and organize their belongings. Many city dwellers sing the praises of their urban interiors, however, for the conviviality they inspire. If there is only a galley kitchen and no dining area, the party can move to the hallway or a rooftop garden.
- Recent trends in urban interiors are not suitable for everyone. Live/work spaces pose unique challenges to people with young children because the easy access to everything, and the industrial materials used in construction makes the home more hazardous. Unfinished buildings that sell or rent for a song are not always a good deal in the end if there are ongoing problems with the foundation or moisture.
- Paint the room a light color.
Paint your walls with a light hue and you can make your small bedroom look a lot bigger. The range of colors is not necessarily limited, just make sure that it resides on the lighter end of the spectrum. Steer clear of the dark colors as it will make a small bedroom look a lot smaller.
- Minimize mess and clutter.
Small bedroom organization is essential to making the most visual space out of a little room. Use storage containers and utilize the closet in order to get the most square footage out of a small bedroom.
- Arrange furniture in the most functional way possible.
If you have a small bedroom, keep furniture to a minimum and don’t squeeze it in to the little space if it doesn’t serve a real purpose. For example, make sure that furniture doesn’t block the walking path in the bedroom layout and don’t put a couch in there unless you really need it.
- Keep your windows open, when you can.
Whenever possible, leave your windows open; the natural light creates the illusion of a much larger bedroom and the openness of the window will do the same. Keep your windows unblocked by bedroom furniture; chairs, beds, and other bedroom furniture, in order to achieve this effect.
- Hang a mirror.
A mirror lends a hand to small bedroom designs by fooling the eye into thinking a room is bigger than it actually is. Hanging a decorative mirror at eye level will improve your bedroom decor and perceived size.
- Paint it. Paint should be your best friend when you are on a tight budget. Paint the walls of your room a cool or warm gray-based color. Gray is quite popular and will instantly update your bedroom. Use spray paint to update old furniture or accessories. For example, you can purchase an old glass vase at a thrift store for pennies, then cover it with silver spray paint for a modern, sleek new accessory.
- Change up your bed linens. Linens can be expensive if you don’t shop carefully, so wait for your local department store to have a “white sale,” then head straight for the clearance bins. Also, consider using a blanket as a bedspread. It is a lot cheaper and comes in a wide variety of styles. Or, for a simple, clean look, dress your bed in sheets only, with a throw across the bottom. Add some throw pillows for a cozy, comfortable feel.
- Frame it up. Frames can add a wonderful architectural detail to walls. Visit your local thrift store and purchase interesting frames. Do not worry about the color, or the pictures inside of them. Throw away the pictures and haul out your trusty can of spray paint. Paint the frames the same color for a uniform look and hang them on your wall. If you don’t like the more modern look of empty frames, you can consider stenciling a letter or design directly onto the wall inside the frame.
- Get rid of clutter. This free step may seem simple, but is still hard for many people to do. Put those knick-knacks away, and consider banishing the television to another room. Modern bedrooms feature simple, clean lines and inspire silent rest–something a blaring television will definitely interfere with.
- Add a rug. A rug is relatively inexpensive, and adding a throw rug to your bedroom can really change up the look and feel of it. Add one with a bold, modern print under your bed for an eye-catching statement, or place a smaller, shaggy rug beside your bed for a soft place to land in the morning.
- Make a headboard. If your bed does not have a headboard, consider making one yourself. There are many ways to make a headboard, from simply hanging a curtain rod from the ceiling and draping fabric over it, to covering plywood with foam and fabric. A headboard will instantly update your room. See the link below for directions for making an upholstered headboard.
In order to live in a home that is full of uniqueness and comfort, consider purchasing a historic home as it has nothing similar like normal, traditional homes in the area. Each and every thing has its own significance and story that will always keep you lively. Even, the windows and doors Toronto
Here, the thing to mention is that these historic homes always need some renovation and can provide a comfortable living place to the inhabitants. As a matter of fact, previous material or components have completed their useful life and now, it’s time to think of replacing them.
Since windows and doors Toronto are among the most important elements in a home’s appearance, it is recommended to pay attention on their condition and replace in case of need. Normally, most of the historic homes have wooden windows and frames that start to rot after a certain period of time and it is, therefore, necessary for the homeowner to replace them because painting the windows will not turn out to be a good decision.
After making the mind to replace windows, the primary decision is to think about the type of window you should install. When it comes to safety with curb appeal, nothing will be better than vinyl windows and doors Toronto. They are resistant to water and even deter pests from entering the home. So, what else a homeowner wants!
In order to make-up your mind, here are more influencing factors that will help you in decision making:
Usually, most of the historic homes are having round windows or simple windows with round edges. Even, there may be windows with hearts, scallops and flower shapes. All these shapes are based on the architectural design of the home as every home differs from the other. The best part about vinyl windows is that they can adapt with the homeowners’ requirements and can add the required level of curb appeal to the home.
There is a misconception that vinyl windows give a plastic or flat appearance due to which, they are not aesthetically appealing. In reality, the manufacturers of vinyl windows and doors Toronto are aware of this fact and therefore, they try their level best to add finely sculpted lines and make them similar to components with wood grain. The windows are provided with delicate, softer surface and appear glowing and appealing to the visitors.
Another reason to install vinyl windows and doors Toronto is the increased energy efficiency that enable homeowners to live a comfortable life with low energy bills. If you are not sure about this features, log on to http://thwindowsdoors.com/ and consult with their experts about how these windows and doors Toronto become energy efficient for the home.
SEO Meta Title: Install Windows and Doors Toronto | Thwindowsdoors.com
Meta Description: Make your historic home stand out among others by installing new, sophistication vinyl windows and doors Toronto. Don’t waste your time anymore, just contact the experts now!
The roof is one of the most basic and important parts of the house. It protects you and your family from rain, snow and heat. Also, it could add to your home’s exterior charm.
However, in the recent years, roofs have become more than just for protection and adornment to our homes. As our environment changes drastically and our technology undergoes great advancement, it is not surprising that the trends in roofing change as well. Homeowners are given more options other than the traditional roofing materials.
Here are four of the hottest roofing trends expected in 2016.
- Asphalt Roofing Shingles are Still Number One
Asphalt has always been the most popular choice for home roofing shingles. This year, they are expected to remain on top as variations of asphalt shingles are being manufactured. These shingles are even more durable and more energy efficient than before. Laminated asphalt shingles are rising in popularity because they have a longer lifespan than normal shingles. With the recent technology, cooling granules can now be mixed with the asphalt, making the shingles more efficient in energy utilization.
- Go Green If You Want to Be “In”
Because environmental degradation and climate change are becoming major issues for all of us, more and more people are now going green to help protect the environment. The market for green building materials, roofing included, is continuing to grow. Manufacturers are developing and producing recyclable yet stylish roofing materials like shingles made from recycled rubber and cedar shakes.
- Solar Roofing for Reduced Energy Bills
Converting the sun’s energy into electricity using solar panels is not a novel thing. However, solar roofing is becoming more and more popular because of its short and long-term benefits. Through solar roofing, you can generate your own power instead of solely relying on the electric grid, which would significantly reduce your electricity bills. Some states also offer applied credits and tax refunds to homeowners who use solar roofing. Aside from these financial benefits, using solar tiles, solar shingles, or photovoltaic modules and roofing systems lessens your carbon footprint, which would be really good for our planet.
- Cool Roofs to Keep the Heat Away
Because of climate change, our summers are now even hotter than before. This is why cool roofing is becoming one of the latest trends when it comes to home construction. These cool roofs are designed to help homes be more energy efficient and maintain a cooler temperature even during the hot months. Roof panels with light colors like white, gray and blue are known for their tendency to reduce energy bills by reflecting heat instead of absorbing it into the house. If you have a dark colored roof, you can just apply a layer of reflective coating such as latex, acrylic, silicone and polyurethane. The coating not only helps in reflecting heat away from your home, it also helps your roof to last longer.
If you are a homeowner who is planning to build or remodel your home, you might want to consider these latest roofing materials. Because of their durability, sustainability and their positive impact for the environment, these roofing materials would be around for a long time.
Written by Enrich Construction, the best service for roofing Columbia, MO has to offer.
There are several things you have to know before you encounter a plumbing emergency in your home. The first one of them is that the best time to connect yourself with a good plumber Toronto is before you start living there. It’s just so much easier to find a good plumber before the real problems arise. Looking for recommendations from relatives who live in the area is a must. Once you do encounter a minor problem in your plumbing, here are some things you need to watch out for.
Don’t go for the no-contract plumber. Just because a Toronto plumber was recommended by a friend doesn’t mean it is safe to go about the plumbing repair without a contract. The first thing you need to demand for is a clear cost of the overall repair. Sure, the plumber can always say that the cost will depend on the gravity of the problem, but a professional should at least be able to give a ballpark figure of the total cost. It should also be written in the contract so all the factors with fixed prices are tallied, and those which could change are included as well. The limits need to be set.
Avoid contractors who ask for too much upfront. In some states, it is actually illegal to ask for more than 10% of the contract price. Check how much upfront rate a plumber can ask you to pay upfront before any work is done. This way, you know that the plumber in Toronto you are talking to is not overcharging you. You should also, ideally, be paying by milestone of the work, and not simply by the hour. This way, the plumber you are hiring is actually paid by the work that is actually accomplished, and is not just pulling tricks and delaying tactics on you just to get paid more.
You need to get to know the actual cost of the materials used for the repair. Some plumbing services Toronto will cost more than others. Much of it, ideally, has to do with the expertise of the plumber you are hiring as well as the materials used. The expertise of your plumber can be assessed with recommendations, but familiarizing yourself with the materials need more work. Get to know top grade products, how much they are actually valued in the market, and the actual benefits of using them. This way, when your plumber gives you a quote, you know you are not being charged extraordinarily high for a material that is actually cheap or subpar.
Plumbers based in the city center tend to cost more. One thing you might notice with plumber Toronto services is that those who offer services from the city center tend to charge more than those who are based on the fringes of the state. It is always recommended that you give service providers operating from less known locations a chance if you want to save money. However, also take into account how transportation costs could add up to the charges. Do the math before deciding on your plumber. Someone based close to your home may also be easier to call in case of an emergency.
If you are looking for reasonably priced plumber Toronto services, get in touch with us. We will get back to you with Toronto’s finest plumbers.
Windows play an integral role in giving new look and refreshing feel to the home. Being a homeowner, you have to be sure about the type of windows as they should not be something that give a gloomy look to your place. Though, you should clear one thing that windows are not intended to providing sophistication and elegance. Even, they are responsible for allowing fresh air and natural light to make the internal environment healthy. Another feature of windows is to conserve energy and maintain temperature so as to be sure that energy bills will be decreased. To do so, bay window replacement can be the option as they are capable of offering different facilities with an aim to keep the inhabitants safe, healthy and secured.
Bay windows can withstand in any weather condition and are efficient in restricting energy from escaping the place or entering the home to affect inside temperature. When you search the market for available types of bay windows, you will find a huge range having different colors, texture, patterns, materials and sizes. So how would you be able to make a decision? Well, this will depend upon your needs, intensity of the issue and surrounding areas as they will have a great influence over how the bay window will work and what are your expectations from them.
By installing bow and bay windows, you will ensure a grander feel to the room. Bay windows have 4 to 8 panels that are responsible for giving a round look to the room. Also, they are capable of widening or extending your room and create good ledges. On the contrary, bay windows normally have 3 protrude windows from which, side pieces are casement windows. There is an option to make a roof over these windows in order to prevent them from falling water. Their contour series is useful in reducing the glow of flat surface by creating fine lines on the windows. A bay window is unlike sliding, double and single hung windows as its moves vertically and allows fresh air to enter the room and create a comfortable environment. The panels are movable and therefore, enable homeowners to set them as they want. Even, they are easy to clean as you just have to tilt them and use a wet cloth with a glass cleaner to remove stains from the glass.
You can visit http://directpro.ca/ for more information regarding bay window and their replacement. Their experts will definitely assist you in finding the best solution to your problems as they have years of experience in the field.
The most important thing that comes to your mind after the construction of your home is choosing the right company that will provide you with safe yet beautiful doors and windows. The most secured glass considered these days for doors and windows; is the glass blindex commonly known as tempered glass. Unlike other glasses that break into big pieces, tempered glass shatters into smaller and less sharp pieces. Read through to get a better understanding of why and where to buy doors and windows from:
Modern glass enclosures, doors and windows bring about a dramatic change to your homes, bringing about a contemporary vibe in your home. Incorporate beautiful glass doors and windows and make your home look chic and stylish. With strength of four times more than the ordinary glass, the luxury shower glass provides superfluous security to your homes; you no longer need to be troubled of someone cutting holes in your glass. The material goes through a tempering heat treatment making the glass resistant to both thermal and mechanical shock. You can be carefree of your children running around and playing as this glass material is tough and will not break easily. Decorating your home with these fascinating doors and windows add a charisma to the place and make it look alluring. The Canada windows and doors Whitby store has a variety of choices for your home.
With internet at your finger tips you can treat your eyes to a variety of luxury shower glass doors and windows. You can select the best for your home. Browse for windows available in numerous models like a tinted window, or a sliding window of two or four pieces, or a bronze colored window, the options are vast. The costs of every product vary according to their size and texture. Similarly, the doors come in different sizes and models wherein you can have a sliding door with two or four pieces. Keeping in mind your budget, you can visit different sites and compare the price of the parts available before you finalize on one product. There are many companies who deal in luxury shower glass in Newmarket and Oakville. Hiring an expert in modular glass for the selection of windows and doors of your home, might save you some cash, rather than you buying the material from an online site. However, it is advisable that you go through both the options and see which set is best for your pocket and gives to your home a stimulating look. Total Home Windows and Doors have a lot of models for doors and windows that you can choose from.
You can use the above piece of information to help you select the right glass material for your doors, windows and enclosures. For the best buy you can visit http://thwindowsdoors.com/whitby-window-replacement/ . This Canada windows and doors Whitby store offers a huge range of glass doors and windows at exciting prices. If you have a home they have the best doors and windows to offer!
When you are in trouble with your plumbing, you need fast and effective service. You need a premiere plumbing repair company that will do right by you and solve the problem. It is now possible to get emergency plumbing services in Toronto. And the service is quick and efficient.
Sometimes booking plumbing services for dates far out in the future is simply not an option. In these instances, getting your plumbing fixed is an immediate priority, and you need a plumber that can perform this service quickly and effectively. plumbers in toronto can provide this kind of service. They specialize in tackling the toughest plumbing jobs with skill and efficiency. You can call today to get an estimate and book your emergency plumbing service.
Plumbing problems can be become very burdensome, and they put a tremendous damper on your life and plans. In order to get through the inconvenience caused by plumbing problems it is important to get them fixed as soon as you can. Plumbers in Toronto can help you resolve such problems quickly when you encounter them. Most plumbers get around to fixing plumbing problems whenever they can spare the resources to do so. The plumbers in Toronto work in a way that guarantees that your plumbing situation will be handled in a timely manner. You no longer have to worry about a long wait to fix your plumbing problems. You can get the kind of service you need almost immediately.
It is best to call a professional plumber rather than try to fix plumbing problems yourself. Although the job may seem easy, plumbing repair is rarely as simple as it looks at first sight. Only a qualified, specially trained plumber can provide the kind of expertise you need to get the job done right the first time. Working with plumbers in Toronto can help you avoid the delays and incompetence that you are almost certain to incur if you allow anyone but a professional plumber to touch your plumbing system. Indeed, turning the work over to someone not qualified to do could actually lead to worsening your plumbing situation. The best way of dealing with these matters is calling someone who knows what they are doing and has experience in fixing the worst kinds of plumbing problems.
To be sure, Toronto has no shortage of plumbers. However, not all of the city’s plumbers offer the same level of service. It is important to discern which plumbers offer the kind of high quality service you need to put your plumbing situation right and which ones don’t. The best was way to do this is by going on the web and conducting a search of all the plumbers in the area. This will lead you to the websites of various plumbers, where you can gather the information you need to make a decision on the services and rates offered by each one. This will further help you make up your mind about which one is most suitable to work with.
If you are a Toronto resident, then you can get the fast, efficient, courteous plumbing repair services you need by going to the web and looking for the best plumbers available.
plumbers in toronto can give you the high quality of service that you need to get your plumbing problem fixed. If you are having difficulty with your plumbing system, call in the people who can help.
After a certain period of time, you might start hearing a weird sound from your toilet or a dripping sound that happens almost every night. These simple things could be an indication of some serious problems in your plumbing system. It certainly requires your attention to see what is wrong with it. One thing for sure, regardless to the size of your plumbing problem, it has a great capacity to reduce the comfortable living in your house in peace. When your plumbing system starts to create a nuisance in your home, it is about time for you to call in professional and experienced plumbers Glendale AZ. You need to understand that leaving this issue untreated or even coming up a DIY approach might make things even worse. Before it actually leads to a more severe issue that will cost you a lot more money, it would be best if you contact your trusted plumber service provider immediately.
When it comes to choosing the right plumbing company in Glendale, AZ, you have to take several aspects into account. One of the most important aspect in this matter is the reputation of the company. Sav-On Plumbing is a reliable plumbing service provider in Glendale, AZ. Getting involved in this business for more than 20 years has made this plumbing company, Sav-On Plumbing has gained a great reputation in dealing with every problem of your plumbing system. This plumbing company has the power take care of your plumbing system properly. You can easily trust this company to take care of a wide range of repair and installation needs. In order to make their clients more comfortable using their services, Save-On Plumbing is ready for action around the clock. Should you have an emergency situation in the middle of the night, all you have to do is pick up the phone and call their number. You will be surprised by how quick they can respond to your emergency call.
Save-On Plumbing know exactly how precious your plumbing system is. Therefore, this company only use the finest plumbing parts in performing the installation and repair jobs. Simply put, this plumbing service provider has what it takes to exceed your expectations. This plumbing company is filled with many experienced and skillful technicians. Not only that they can take care of your plumbing problems effectively, they can also get them done in a timely manner. It is glad to know that Save-On Plumbing always see their clients as their most precious asset. They will do everything in their power to solve your plumbing issues immediately and professionally.
It is without a doubt that the slightest problem on your plumbing like a water leak can be very annoying to most home owners in this country. Hearing the constant dripping every night can be very irritating. The next thing you know that you have to pay a more expensive bill at the end of the month. When you leave this simple issue untreated, it is very likely that it caused bigger problems both on your plumbing or even your entire house. In the long run, constant dripping comes from water leaks may cause some damages on the structure of your toilet and home. You need to understand that any kind water leak condition should be handled immediately. Instead of inspecting the broken plumbing system on your own, it would be best if you leave this problem to the hand of a professional and experienced plumbing service provider in Glendale, AZ. Their experienced and skilled technicians will spot the source of the constant dripping in no time at all. Their professional help will make your plumbing system run properly.
A water leak may come from various conditions. It may take hours for you to locate the root of your plumbing problem should you decide to take care of the issue on your own. On the contrary, Save-On Plumbing and their professional technicians will find the source of the problems in no time. More interestingly, they will lead to the most suitable solution for you trouble. They will do whatever they can to keep you from spending a lot of money. However, when maintaining the existing plumbing is no longer a good option for you, one the most trusted plumbers Glendale AZ will clearly describe the importance of a new installation. Feel free to visit http://sav-onplumbing.com/ for more details about this reliable plumbing company.
Why You Should Hire A Professional for Tub Reglazing Is your bathtub in desperate need of some attention? Are you embarrassed to invite guests in to your home, for fear that they will judge you based on the state of your bathtub? You’ve got enough things to worry about; your bathtub shouldn’t be causing you that much trouble! If you live in Philadelphia, there has never been a better time to schedule your tub reglazing services. Tub reglazing is not something one tries to do by themselves. Luckily, you can hire a professional to take care of it for you! Bathtub refinishing professionals often bring years of experience to the table and know exactly what to do to make your bathroom tub and tiles shine like new. Trying to figure out how to reglaze your tub at home would be simply impossible; it will likely cost you thousands of dollars and take many, many hours to get right. With all of the tub reglazing professionals in the Philadelphia area, it doesn’t even have to cost you that much! Before you know it, your tub will be looking like a million bucks (but will only cost you a fraction of the price. Consider, for example, all of the many steps involved in tub reglazing. First, you would have to somehow find a way to get these incredibly hazardous chemicals into your possession. They can be really costly and pose a serious threat to your health if used incorrectly. A respirator would be absolutely essential, as would a protective body suit. In most cases, a special protective suit will be required. Hiring a professional means knowing that you don’t have to worry about coming into contact with these dangerous chemicals.
A Simple Plan: Glazing
In order to protect all of the surfaces in your bathroom, you will need to cover them. Imagine how horrible it would be to find that you had missed a spot! Proper ventilation would undoubtedly be a concern, even with the use of a respirator. Any good professional tub reglazer knows exactly how to handle this process, and will have it done in a matter of minutes before they move on to the next step.
A Simple Plan: Glazing
When you reglaze a tub, you have to first get rid of the old porcelain before you can put down the new. This part of the process may very well be the most dangerous. After, it may take up to 24 hours for your new tub to be ready for use. One thing I can guarantee, however, is that it will be worth it! You will undoubtedly get immense satisfaction from the looks on your guest’s faces when they see your sparkling new tub. Tub reglazing is simply not a process that one should attempt to do alone; it is best left to the professionals. And while you are at it, be sure to ask about tile reglazing; the process is very similar and most companies offer extremely competitive rates when doing a complete overhaul of a bathroom.
There are many parts of your house that require proper attention and regular maintenance. After a while, you might have a need to replace them with a new one. Let us take your tile for example. You cannot use your old tile forever as it will lose its charms and appealing look eventually. Replacing your existing tile will make your house more comfortable for sure. Moreover, it will also give a fresh look to your entire house. When it comes to replacing your tile, you should never tackle the tile removal job on your own. For the sake of your house and the health of every inhabitant in the house, it would be best if you leave your tile removal Ahwatukee to Dust B Gone.
There might be plenty of tile removal companies in Ahwatukee, AZ but the one that offers dust free tile removal is quite rare. Apparently, Dust B Gone is one of the two companies in Ahwatukee that serves their customers with the dust free services. You can count on this company to tackle your tile removal task without making your house full of dust. They have what it takes to perform highly professional tile removal jobs and keep your furniture undamaged. The experienced and skillful workers of Dust B Gone will help you cut down any possible toxins in your homes significantly. Simply put, tile removal Ahwatukee with Dust B Gone is a cleaner, safer and highly effective.
More Benefits of Tile Removal with Dust B Gone
Tile removal is risky home improvement project. It is very important that you tackle the job very carefully. When you stick the those traditional methods in removing your old tile, you might have to deal with the harmful silica based dust. Making this issue as another DIY project is never recommended. You might put your health at stake because the resulting dust comes with a carcinogenic substances. With hundreds of pounds of dusts that come from this tile removal project, you might need to protect yourself in an extreme way. Some people are so aware of the dangers of tile removal with traditional methods that they have to leave their house empty for at least a week.
Instead of taking this important task yourself and risk your own health and the health of your family, it would be much safer for you to call for a professional help from a reliable tile removal company. This option will prevent you from the unhealthy dust and extreme mess while removing your old tile. More importantly, leaving this important task to a trustworthy company will also save your time. They have what it takes to finish the job in a timely manner.
Dust B Gone is a great example of a highly professional tile removal company in Ahwatukee, AZ. In addition to their highly skilled workers, this company always use state of the art tile removing equipment to make sure that the jobs are done effectively. The method and the sophisticated tools they use will keep the harmful silica dust from becoming airborne and contaminating the your indoor air quality. They will keep you away from the long term and unnecessary exposure to the harmful dust. You need to understand that any silica based dust will bring more harms to your health. The inhalation of this dust will lead you to a number of respiratory diseases.
Removing your tile properly and safely is not the only concern here. Dust B Gone will provide you with flatter concrete slab. That way, you can have a better installation for your new flooring. Dust B Gone is a trustworthy company for your tile removal project. There would be no hidden cost that comes from hiring this company to remove your old tile properly. There would be no dust as the excess of the project and you will have no dust to clean in the end. When the tile removal job is taking place, there is no need for you to leave your home for a certain period of time. Tile removal Ahwatukee should be taken very seriously at it may put your health in danger and Dust B Gone will help you relax, kick back and enjoy your dust-free home. For more details about this reliable company, feel free to visit http://www.dustbgoneaz.com.
Let’s discover a few reasons why we need to leave the installation of our roofing system to a reliable and professional roofing contractor in Ahwatukee, AZ.
These days, more and more home owners grow more confidence when it comes to repairing their houses. There are many online videos and books that turn out to be a guidance that is filled with clear instructions about how to take care of their home repair projects on their own. However, you might need to treat your roofing installation in a different way. You need to understand that your roof is a crucial part of any house and leaving the roofing installation Ahwatukee and repair projects to a trustworthy roofing contractor is truly worth it.
There are some roofing contractors in Ahwatukee, AZ that you can hire to take care of your roofing installation. However, not all of them are able to perform a professional job with a pleasant result. If you care about the safety of the project and wish to enjoy excellent results in the end, it is advisable that you call Stapleton Roofing company. Not only that this trustworthy roofing contractor is specializing in the installation of new roofs, they also provide their clients with the finest craftsmanship in the industry.
When it comes to selecting the right roofing company in Ahwatukee, AZ, it is important that you put the reputation of the contractor as an important consideration. It is always useful to ask for some recommendations from some close friends in order to identify a reputable roofing contractor in Ahwatukee. However, it would be more convincing if you check the rating that the AZ Better Business Bureau has given for the company. Thanks to the A+ rating from the bureau, we can assure you that Stapleton Roofing has grown a solid reputation in Ahwatukee, AZ. This trusted roofing company has many years of experience in this field and you cannot replace that precious asset by watching a number of videos. Not only that Stapleton Roofing always use the finest materials in the installation of your roof, they also utilize the state of the art equipment. The roofing company will get your roofing installation correctly and in a timely manner.
You need to understand that the installation of your new roof should be done properly. It is quite obvious that any issue that a poor installation might lead you to more serious problems on your roofing system and your entire structure as well. Stapleton Roofing is the kind of roofing contractor that acknowledges every roofing needs of their clients very well. Thus, if you like to install a new roofing system in your house or have any issue with the top part of your house, you can surely trust Stapleton Roofing.
A Roofing Contractor in Ahwatukee with Years of Experience
The home owners in Ahwatukee, Arizona must have been very familiar with the blistering sun that will cause serious damages to their roofing systems. It is very likely that you have to repair your roof or come up with a new roof for the house. With more than 25 years of roofing experience, Stapleton Roofing knows exactly what you need to do with your roof in order to keep it in pristine condition. They are very capable of detecting the problems with your roofing system before they get worse. They have what it takes to get every roof repair job done correctly, safely and in a timely manner.
A Much More Reliable Option than Your DIY Project
Many home owners decide to tackle the repair job or even the installation of their roof on their own. They strongly believe that their DIY project is a good way to save their money. That is not entirely true. When you think it over, you will see that hiring a professional and trustworthy roofing contractor like Stapleton Roofing is a more affordable solution. When you like to start a DIY project on your roof, you might have to equip yourself with plenty of new equipment. That would cost you a lot of money for sure. Moreover, your DIY project might cause some improper installation or mistakes. In the end, you will have to suffer from much more severe damages on your roof and structure.
For a more reliable roof installation Ahwatukee and any repair job on your roof, feel free to visit http://www.stapletonroofing.com/roofing-services/residential-roofing.
Summer time in Phoenix, can be a great moment for you to stay outdoor and enjoy various exciting activities. However, this season can be dreadfully hot and comes with an intolerable heat. It is highly advisable that you seek the comfortable temperature at home and this is where your air conditioner Phoenix comes into play. When the temperature at the outdoor reaches 100 degrees, you surely want to stay at home enjoying your comfortable and safe environment created by your air conditioning system. Therefore, it is very important for you to keep your air conditioner in a pristine condition and working just fine. When it experiences any issue on this crucial equipment, make sure that you leave it to a professional air and heating contractor in Phoenix, AZ.
When we fail to keep this item working properly, it will create an uncomfortable situation to live in. Thankfully, Phoenix, AZ is now home to a number of reliable air and heating contractors. However, it is very important that you pick the right one to take care the air conditioner repair jobs. Morehart Air and Heating’s a/c repair company has turned out to be a trusted and experienced air and heating contractor in Phoenix and I have proven their great reputation in person.
When I faced some problem with my own air conditioning system, it was very hard for me and my family to kick back and relax in our own home. We had to burn up with the uncomfortable indoor environment. Morehart Air and Heating’s a/c repair services found no trouble in detecting the source of the problem and come up with a long lasting solution. They managed to take care of the problem in no time at all. One thing that I’ve learned, the maintenance of your air conditioning unit is very important. You need to perform a regular maintenance job in order to detect any problem on your air conditioner much earlier. More importantly, not only that it can keep your air conditioning unit in a good condition, a proper maintenance will also keep you from spending a lot of money to cover more severe condition or purchase a new unit. Thus, the money you spend for the regular maintenance of your cooling and heating system should be seen as a useful investment.
Why You Need to Trust Morehart Air Conditioning and Heating
There are some other companies that are specializing in air conditioner Phoenix, AZ but not all of them can offer a reliable repair or maintenance job for you. It is highly recommended that you only hire a trustworthy air and heating contractor that is also experienced in this field. Morehart is home to many professional, well trained and certified technicians. They are more than capable of taking care of any problem occurs on your air cooling unit. Unlike many other air and heating contractors out there, Morehart gives a great opportunity to their technicians to keep ahead of this dynamic industry by continuing their education.
This air and heating contractor fully understands the personal needs of their customers. For that reason, Morehart provides them with pleasant customers services. That way, you can feel secure when you leave your air cooling system to this trusted company.
The cooling and heating system services provided by this air and heating contractor are very useful to make your house more efficient. They fully understand the need of their customers to make their living space ‘greener’ these days. It is glad to know that Morehart Air Conditioning and Heating is committed to be very environmentally friendly. You can see this commitment clearly in every service you receive.
Your air conditioning and heating system is a crucial part of your house. You need to do whatever it takes to keep it running properly at all time especially during the summer months. This is the moment when your air cooling system is truly tested and greatly required. Many home owners in this area rely on their air conditioner Phoenix to keep their home comfortable when the extreme heat of summer attacks. A trusted and experienced air conditioning and heating contractor like Morehart is exactly what you need to ensure your air cooling unit perform its best capacity. You can visit http://morehartac.com/ for more details on this reliable company.
One of the best ways to market your website traffic is through an effective search engine optimization process. If you manage to achieve a high ranking, you’ll experience a lot of traffic visiting it every day. This article is full of helpful SEO advice that you should use.
There are multiple thing you can do to optimize a great number of ways to achieve good search engine optimization. You will get the best results if the system for search. The optimized performance will result in an overall better experience for the user.
To optimize your place on search engine results, include a myriad of keywords, including misspellings, in the “metatag” area of your website setup. Search engine bots will find analyze these meta tags and including this information will show up in a much larger amount of searches. For example, if you have a website about Maine Coon cats, put “shot glasses” in your metatag but also include “shot glases” and “shotglasses”.
Pick a domain name which has your chosen keywords. You need to make your website easy to find when customers are trying to look for it on the web. Not all of your site traffic will be generated by affiliate advertisements, many will come from product searches.
You must have patience when performing SEO for your website. You can not see an immediate increase in traffic overnight. It can take months or longer for new sites. It takes time for an online business to establish a name, just as it does with an offline business.
The SEO tips you just read about will currently assist you in building your search engine results rankings. However, search engine algorithms change constantly. To ensure continued search engine optimization success, it is important to consistently read about new techniques in the industry.
Having an HVAC system is both fun and tiring. Why? People should make sure their system is well-maintained. Otherwise, they may get some troubles including dysfunction and damages. What can they do? A reliable AC repair cave creek service is for the example. Never ignore the importance of an expert when it is about the air conditioner and heating service. People can simply look for an expert around the town. The question is who they should hire. Norris Air is quite recommended. They have been in this business for more than 40 years. Not to mention they are able to handle many types of jobs related to HVAC system.
Always Check the Experience First
It’s not convincing enough if people only look at the reputation of a particular HVAC repair service. This means there are many other aspects to check before hiring such kind of expert. For starters, they need to check whether or not the company is licensed. Hiring unlicensed company is quite risky. Why people can get reassurance related to the project satisfaction and safety. Experience and license are critical points to check before hiring a contractor. A licensed company understands what they do. They know many things like airflow, combustion systems, wiring, and any other important aspects of considerations.
The next thing to find out is what kind of services they have. It will be great if an HVAC contractor provides customers with many types of services. The most common one is servicing and cleaning the heater. It’s an important thing, in fact. Getting the furnace serviced and cleaned regularly may minimize the dysfunction and problems during the winter. The fact is that the air filters of the furnace may build up dust and dirt over time. If ignored, it may block the air flow and reduce the efficiency of the furnace. A heater that works harder will absorb more electricity. This is bad for the utility bills, for sure. An expert can handle this type of maintenance so the heating bills become lower.
Air conditioner maintenance and cleaning is also common service offered by AC repair cave creek contractors. An air conditioner that doesn’t provide enough coolness may have some problems like a coil leak. This shouldn’t be ignored as it may elevate the utility costs. Why? The system is cycling constantly. The expert will inspect the problem and provide the best solution for the clients. This means the contractor determines whether or not the AC system requires a replacement. Still, it will be based on the customers’ concerns.
More Services to Getting
The next service is the programmable thermostat installation. Many people have realized the importance of this kind of service. Turning the cooling and heating unit down when they are away can really save lots of money. It’s the work of a programmable regulator. Even though the installation cost is quite troublesome, the result isn’t disappointing at all. It can even reduce the cost of the utility bill. Professional HVAC services are able to provide this kind installation for all customers. It won’t take much time too for the installation process. The best contractors only need a few hours to complete the whole process.
The next service is the energy audit. Commercial buildings can take advantage of this service to monitor the usage of the system. This is very useful to establish whether or not the equipment works effectively. It can monitor the heat loss, heat gain, energy efficiency, proper ventilation, and many more. The professionals will determine what equipment to use to provide either effective cooling or heating for the building. However, there’s extra charge for the further service. People have the freedom to decide whether or not they get this service.
Another service people can get from an AC repair cave creek service is the upgrade of the current systems and equipment. The experts will determine what kind of upgrades needed. They will improve the efficiency of the system, after all. The cost won’t be so expensive. People can even compare and reviews any available contractors to get the most affordable upgrades. Not to mention those professionals will make the system works better and lasts longer. A service like Norris Air is very recommended if people look for both affordability and quality. They even have gathered experience more than 43 years.
Content provided by bunkbedoutlet.co.uk – metal bunk beds
When you decide to start any type of home improvement project, you may imagine how a new carpet or updated room will appear, visualize it from start to finish.The following tips will help make your projects are a success.
A new paint job can enhance curb appeal greatly.
Think about the order in which projects you want to complete first if you are working on different projects. If you’re doing both flooring and cabinets, it is smart to do the cabinets first.
Balance the blades on your ceiling fans.Improve the quality of your environment. A ceiling fan can use balance help when it is noisy is more than likely off-balance. When you are adjusting the screws to your fan blades, it is a good idea to clean the fan blades in order to remove any dust that could unbalance your fan.
Make sure your contractor listens to what you have to say. You need a contractor and make them listen to your concerns.Make sure that the contractor listens to everything you and your needs.
Replacing a roof can prove to be expensive for any homeowner. Get estimates from at least three different roofing companies and be sure to check their references. There are many options for new roofing material, from metal to lightweight tile, although there are still the traditional choices like composite shingles and wood shake. A reputable roofing contractor can help give you find the right choice for your home.
If you actually have water dripping out from beneath a sink or the tap, it is best that you do not try to patch up the leak yourself. Just put a container under the leak to collect the runoff and call a professional plumber.
The number one tip is to have a plan in place before starting any project. If you wait until you start, you may not be able to make up your mind or you may make bad decisions.
A new garden or outside dining area that goes well with your home’s style will improve the entire look of your property, while clashing styles will look unplanned and even unattractive.
Look for low levels around your property, including those near the foundation of the house. You should fill these areas with compacted soil so you do not get puddles in order to prevent erosion and pooling of water.
Sand and wipe off any wood surface that you stain it. Using fine-grit sandpaper with a fine grit helps to give it a nice smooth finish. The damp rag removes the dust and will help create your desired smooth finish.
Don’t go with a contractor that thinks they can get a large up-front fee. You should only pay about $2,500 as a down payment to ensure the contractor shows up, and roughly 10 percent of your total budget after the first day of work. Do not pay more than this.
If you are working on a home improvement project that is outside the home, avoid making it too loud compared to the neighbors decor. If your property sticks out in a bad way, you’ll have a hard time selling it when the time comes.
Old toothbrushes prove to be great for cleaning chores. Old toothbrushes work for cleaning sinks and around bathrooms. The best part is that they don’t cost anything. Why pay for a new brush when an old toothbrush will work just as well. Use the money you have saved on something different.
For example, having an uncovered deck in Arizona or a sun room that has no ventilation in Michigan would be nonsensical renovations that will have potential buyers questioning your house upkeep decisions. Stick with things that are popular, and don’t reach outside of what local climate allows.
A repainted garage door can add curb appeal to any home. Garage doors often get scratched or dinged, which can cause them to look older than they are. A fresh coat of paint makes your house look new and more valuable.
Any home improvement project can be completed, but it takes some careful planning. Keep the tips from this article in mind and do more research about specific projects you are interested in. If you plan carefully you will have a wonderful time with your projects.
While there are plenty of ads concerning finding roommates on the Internet, it is easy to get confused. It is difficult to predict what a person is going to be like as a roommate and that is why a lot of people do not want to risk and prefer buying real estate Toronto or Vancouver just to avoid the process of living with someone else.
However, here are some tips on how to identify a good roommate.
In many ways, finding a roommate is like finding a new acquaintance. After all, your future neighbor is likely to become your friend because it is impossible to use kitchen and bathroom with a person without communicating with them.
Determine the purpose
If you want to find a roommate who will be your future partner in life, then it is best to look not at the apartment itself and its location, but at the roommate as a personality. After all, renting an apartment is a temporary phenomenon, whereas you might have to change more than one apartment with the roommate. If you do not want to have a close relationship with your neighbor, it should be clearly reflected in your ad description.
Choose a neighbor with similar interest
You should have more trust in those ads, the authors of which have uploaded their photos and given the description of their hobbies or interests. If the user has other offers, for example, “I am looking for a fellow traveler”, then it is even better. After all, open and sociable people usually provide more information about themselves as opposed to closed ones or those who want to hide something.
Real life interview
So, you’ve found the roommate you have been looking for and exchanged several messages with them. Now you can call them and meet in a cafe in order to talk and understand whether it is the person with whom you want to live in one apartment. When conversing, try to find out what the person expects from the joint tenancy, and whether their expectations match with yours. If you liked your potential roommate, then you can start looking for an apartment.
Advantages of joint tenancy
For some people it is quite difficult to rent a room, because in this case, they will have to share a kitchen and bathroom with another person. However, joint tenancy hasa lot of advantages, and you can do lots of things together with your roommate, such as:
Buy groceries together, especially if your roommate has a car.
Drive to work together since it is very nice when a roommate could give you a lift and plus it is not that boring to be stuck in a traffic jam if there is somebody sitting next to you.
Be just friends since it is always nice when there is a new person appearing in your life.
To sum up, we hope you find our tips useful and you will manage to find your ideal roommate. In addition, if you live in Toronto, and if you are looking for a roommate you can click here to find roommates in Toronto within the shortest period of time possible.
Smaller living spaces require furniture that can perform multiple functions to maximize the area around the piece, one such item gaining in popularity is the corner sofa bed. These sofas allow for comfort and space saving options built into them to take up less area in smaller living spaces. Ideal for small apartments, condos, or studio apartment living, these sofas can make a room appear larger than they are by taking up less space.
These sofas, are designed for using a typically unusable space of any home, the corner. By maximizing all the space in a home, they are the ideal choice for those whose homes have smaller square footage. Earlier made corner sofa bed were basic in design performing limited functions and were typically oversized to suit larger rooms. Today’s modern versions perform a variety of functions while providing seating for all who live in a home with a more sleek streamlined design. Newer corner sofas are constructed to provide functions guaranteeing total efficiency. Corner sofas have built in storage for pillows, and blankets and can even provide an armrest with shelves built down the side.
Customers who are looking into these types of sofas do not have to forego style or quality either. These sofas can compliment any decor, from fabric, leather to suede and come in multiple designs to suit one’s taste. Corner sofas give people the amount of seating space necessary to entertain or to stretch out and relax. Accommodating overnight guests is also easier in smaller spaces because these sofas can provide extra bed space when needed, with all the bedding stored inside the sofa.
There are a lot of cheap corner sofas on the market today, and customers have more options to choose from than ever before. Working with a company that specializes in corner sofas like msofas.co.uk the customer can find the right sofa at the right price. They offer access to some of the highest quality sofas sold today at a fraction of the cost, working with various retailers and manufacturers, they can customize a sofa to fit any customers decorating needs. Eco-friendly fabrics and leathers are also available for clients who are environmentally conscience. Visit their website today to see the wide selection of sofas they have to offer to maximize any living space.
Right from the pages of history to the modern times, a bathtub has always been a dream for all. Yet most could not afford it since the monetary requirement was way beyond the common man. But not anymore!
Now bathtub wall enclosures are available at very lucrative price points. In fact these enclosures are absolutely hassle free with low installation and maintenance costs. Available as a unit these enclosures consist of acrylic walls with tapering ends which can fit into one another. These interlocking walls are so made that there is absolutely no water leakage and your walls remain safe and damage free.
Advantages of acrylic bathtub walls
Bathtub enclosures are today, generally made of acrylic as they are
- Budget-friendly: This means that acrylic walls are very cost effective and can also be installed without any fuss.
- Safe on walls: Since these walls prevent leakage and seepage of water, the underlying walls do not get damp and mouldy.
- Have a varied range: Be it white or patterned or tiled, acrylic walls offer a wide variety of options to choose from.
Thus it would not be wrong to say that acrylic walls combine practical utility with aesthetics thereby coming up with a solution which satisfies the user on more than one account.
Types of bathtub enclosures
There are primarily two types of bathtub wall enclosures. They are
- One piece bathtub surround: In this there is only a single piece of acrylic on all the three walls of the tub enclosure. The three walls happen to be
- The back wall which is situated behind the bathtub,
- The side wall which is on one side of the bathtub and
- The plumbing wall which contains all the taps, faucets and pipe lines.
Since this type of unit has no seams at the two corners, caulk joints can be avoided giving it a distinct advantage over the 3 piece system. Also the absence of seams makes for a continuous pattern which looks and feels good. But when these walls expand and contract, there are chances of the walls might buckle in a very irregular manner.
- Three-piece bathtub surround: In this type each of the panel walls are separately made and then custom fit to suit the requirements of the user. Since there are three separate walls present, the effects of expansion and contraction are minimised. This unit is also easier to move as three separate acrylic walls are involved thereby making for easy installation and removal. But immense care must be taken while installing the same since the tile pattern has to be properly matched, else the finished effect will look very shabby.
It is true that purchasing a foreclosed home is a bit different from purchasing a typical resale home. In many cases, there’s only the real estate agent who is involved in the entire process. The seller requires a pre-approval letter from the lender before he accepts the offers and in such cases, there is very little room for negotiation. The homes comes in a state as it was and the buyer has to pay for making repairs. On the other hand, most homes that are owned by banks are vacant and this sometimes accelerates the process of moving into the new home. Buying a foreclosed home is definitely a bit of a grind and it is not at all easy as there are different complicacies that are involved in the entire process. Even though you get a fantastic price for the home, it sometimes takes a lot of time to go through a number of houses and writing down a number of offers.
The large number of abandoned properties in America illustrates the devastation of American housing bust and this is currently blighting the communities of the nation. In the third quarter alone, foreclosure filings that were reported were more than 750,000 properties, which saw a 70% increase since the same time of the last year. Still, the purchase of foreclosed property usually involves a complex process and presents the buyers with the opportunities of committing a number of costly and expensive mistakes. In an effort to ensure that there is a sharp decrease in the number of people who commit the costly mistakes, below listed are some of the most expensive blunders that people commit while buying a foreclosed property. Check them out.
- Doing it DIY: While you may think that’s doing it yourself will be fine with buying foreclosed properties, this is not the fact. When it comes to buying foreclosed properties you should never go solo. There are complex transactions involved in the process of buying Bank owned properties and hence it is always better to take help of a real estate agent who has got a good background of buying and selling foreclosed homes. Take help of a person who has enough experience of going through the market cycles. unless you are a true real estate expert, it is always better to find an agent who can help you through the buying process.
- Not being familiar with the law: It is vital for you to remember that the real estate agents are not lawyers and that foreclosure laws can change considerably from one state to another. there are a lot of people who fail to remember the fact that the entire process of buying a foreclosed home is heavily regulated by the state laws. They also forget the fact that laws differ from one place to another. When you don’t have the language written in proper format in the contract or even if the size of the font is wrong, this can lead to severe civil and criminal damages. as a consumer you should review the foreclosure laws the particular state you reside or else you should get legal advice from a real estate attorney.
- Short term planning: There are many foreclosed homes which may decline in value in the approaching months and therefore it is vital for the buyers to approach the transaction from the perspective of the long run. If you are not looking at a foreclosed property from the perspective of a ten year time, as an investor you are most likely going to suffer in the long run. So if you are an investor who is trying to cash in on a quick flip, you shouldn’t go for a foreclosure. Only those investors who have patience for clicking a long-term real estate deal should go forward to buy a foreclosed home.
- Searching on a too broad basis: As there is so much inventory coming into the market this days it is vital for the buyers to take a measured and informed decision. With the present economic conditions in the real estate market there are too many bank owned homes. If you ask your real estate agents to get you a list of the bank owned homes, you will have too many to choose from. Therefore it is always better to keep the search short so that you can choose the best among the lot.
Hence if you are about to buy a foreclosed property, make sure you don’t commit the above mentioned mistakes. If you do so you may have to suffer a huge financial loss in the long run that might force you to fall in debt. Although there are options to relieve yourself from debt, it is still better to avoid it all together. Click here for more information on debt relief options.
“You know it’s time to hit the beach when the sun is out and the warmth is invading your house and you are just dying for a dip in the cool waters of the ocean. Sometimes you have to wait until the right time, and that only means you’re looking forward to it even more. It’s always going to be a fun day out and a great adventure, but if you’re truly crafty and keen you can make that day at the beach even better. Just follow these great tips to enjoying the beach day even more than you could possibly ever have imagined. You will have the best day ever.
You need games, you need to bring all of the fun beach games you played as a kid. For example, why not get a paddle ball set. You can play paddle ball in all sorts of configurations of people and it’ll be a total blast. It will also help build up a sweat so that the next plunge into the icy waters is all the more refreshing. You can try to set the record for most paddles back and forth and as the day goes on, you can stand further and further away from each other. It’ll be super fun. You can also play water games, maybe a version of football where you toss a nerf or even normal football while in the water. That’s extra fun because it allows you to dive into the water trying to catch the ball.
Also, the beach day will be fun no matter what, but if you’re anxious for the beach day and looking forward to it and want to figure out a way to help pass the time between now and this exciting beach day, why not make some beach related crafts. For example, you can make your own beach bag out of canvas you can get for cheap from a supply store. You’ll also want to order some eyelets and grommets from a place like thediyoutlet.com and get your beach back all ready to be tied up and hold all your towels and of course the aforementioned games. You’ll be the envy of your entire friend circle when you show up with a homemade beach bag!
You can’t go to the beach without music! And what are you going to do, just bring your iPhone and put it in a cup and hope that it doesn’t get sandy and that it blasts your tunes adequately? No, you can’t do that, that’s some amateur beach going. You want to make sure the tunes can be blasted from your towel station for the whole rest of your group and then into the water while you’re swimming and of course while you’re playing paddle ball. There are a lot of options for blasting music so make sure you get something that will be a little water and sand resistant.
- Choose the flooring. There are many types and colors of linoleum, tile, stone and woods. The flooring you use is literally the base that will figure into all of the other designing choices later.
- Choose the appliances. Stainless steel, white and black are the main choices, and you can build on features from there. The main considerations at this point are size, style and type, such as if you want a standard oven or dutch ovens and if you want a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer or a bottom/top one.
- Pick out the cabinetry. Many choices of cabinets and cupboards are available, and wood stain or color can be customized for you; the hardest part is choosing what you want.
- Figure out the layout of the kitchen. After you have your wish list completed for the bones of you space, it’s time to sit down and figure out if and how you can place it in your room. Talking with your contractor may be beneficial at this stage to make sure everything you want is possible within your square footage and budget limitations. The contractor may have ideas on how to tailor your ideas if necessary, without having to sacrifice the general scheme you have planned.
- Decide what extras you want inside your cabinets. There are many options on customizing the insides of your cupboards to suit your family’s storage needs.
- Choose the appliance features. Refrigerator choices include whether you want an ice and water maker or a TV on the outside door. Stove choices include whether you want a self-cleaning oven and whether you want six burners on your stove or the standard four with a grill/griddle attachment in the middle.
- Have another sit-down with your contractor to talk about the extras you would like to include. He can present some options and give you a price range for what you are looking for.
- Choose your countertops. This will most likely match your floors. After you have the whole layout planned, you will have a better idea of the kitchen space and be able to budget accordingly for the types of materials needed. There are as many choices in countertop material as there are floors, including wood, tile, marble, granite and cement.
- Pick out your lighting. Lighting in the kitchen is especially important, from how the overhead adds the ambiance that you want, to the task lights that make your job easier. Coordinating all of this beforehand, such as where you want it and what styles you want it in, will save you from scrambling later to find fixtures that will work with the overall scheme.
- Choose your sink, faucet style and colors. Everything from stainless steel to all colors in ceramic can be yours if you search. Custom faucets can add a personal touch to a standard, cheaper sink.
- Settle on the details. Choices like the cabinetry hardware you use and light switch and outlet colors can make or break a design scheme.
- Finish it off. After the contractor and the workers leave, it’s time to go shopping for the finishing touches of your kitchen, from window treatments, to tables and chairs, to dishtowels and clocks. Have a blast. You’ve earned it.
- Look at the wall paint in relationship to the size of the room. Consider whether the color of your walls overwhelm the room. For large expanses of wall space, you might break up the color with a patterned fabric on the windows. For a small room, you might wish to make the curtains the same color to create a sense of more space.
- Notice the shape of the windows. Simple rectangular windows scattered around the room can look good with any kind of window treatment. Large stretches of window may need to be broken up into individual units. Arched windows may need special rods or shades for curved areas.
- Feel the temperature of the room. Does the bedroom face the north, or is it subject to drafts in winter? You may need lined curtains that you can close at night to help keep heat in the room. Heavy fabrics will also help to insulate the room.
- Take note of early morning light. Think about how often you will open and close the drapes. If your bedroom windows face east, morning light may disturb sleepers. Draperies on sliding tracks will be easier to shut light out in the early morning and let light in later in the day. If light isn’t a problem, you can consider lighter-weight fabrics and stationary rods.
- Consider the styling of your décor. If you prefer modern styling, frilly ruffles or voluminous drapes won’t go well with the feel of the room. Consider a modern print or contrasting color to add an edge to the room. If you like country styling, soft prints and ruffles will work well.
- Measure your windows. Take measurements from the top of the windows to the bottom and to the floor.
- Go to your local window treatment store and pick out fabrics and styles.
- Place your order and arrange for installation.
- Make a detailed list of existing kitchen equipment. Take a tape measure and note the size of each piece of equipment. Check your records and list energy–both electrical and/or gas and ventilation–requirements. Look for a label on the equipment with pertinent information. Take a picture of the equipment and the label, or record the model number and manufacturer.
- Make a second list with equipment you are considering purchasing. Contact a kitchen supplier and look at their options. Ask the supplier for cut sheets showing the details on replacement equipment. Make sure it is large enough for your anticipated growth and make note of the increases in gas, electricity and ventilation. If you are buying used equipment, you will need the supplier to call out information on the used equipment over what your existing equipment uses. This must include physical space.
- Calculate your storage needs. This can be done by estimating how much square footage is now used, how many shelves there are and their sizes, and all existing storage areas combined. Now look at how the increased kitchen operation will affect your maximum output. Will your amount of specialty items be twice, three times or some fraction of that, compared to your current situation? The amount of raw products stored can increase accordingly. Storage can be on or off site as long as what you need is at your kitchen when you need it. This also includes a food preparation area, number of employees to do the work and their necessary facilities (restroom and changing and clothing storage areas).
- Look carefully at your cooler/freezer requirements. Are there any slab thickness requirements or insulation? Consider an auxiliary power source to run key equipment holding expensive or exotic ingredients. Add this to your insurance if not already covered.
- Start obtaining approvals from health departments with jurisdiction at the very beginning of the process. Ask for their advice and consul. Many health inspectors have up-to-date information on energy-saving and state-of-the-art commercial kitchen equipment and the experts in the field. The regulations can be complicated, especially if you are under local and state inspection, or federal if selling meals or products interstate. There are a lot of details that can be worked out ahead of time to avoid problems later. Specific elements of your kitchen need to be spelled out, such as hand sinks, cooking hoods, grease pits, dishwasher size, volume and hooding.
- Contact the commercial kitchen architect and/or engineer to assist you in laying out a detailed plan for your commercial kitchen design. If you do your basic homework, it will assist the architects so they can concentrate on your model plan and save you money and time and establish a good liaison with your health inspectors.
The Memphis Style
- Memphis was a design collaborative formed by the Italian designer Ettore Sottsass. They emphasized a range of colors that could be used in postmodern interiors, including tomato red, bright blue, and patterns including a pink and black mosaic print. In many instances, these unexpected and nontraditional colors were paired with industrial materials, including neon, zinc, printed glass and celluloid. As design historians Ed Sexton and Doug Taylor note, the Memphis style was characterized by teals, purples, reds, greens and yellows, as well as the signature colors of black and white.
Color and Pattern
- From the beginning, the Memphis group influenced the colors and patterns of postmodern design, and they continue to be associated with the postmodern color palette to this day. Drawing influences from designs including Martine Bedin’s Superlamp, one might choose red, yellow, blue, green or pink, in their primary hues or as fluorescent as possible, for interior colors. A key element in choosing postmodern interior colors is understanding that it is often the combination of clashing elements that most effectively conveys the idea of the postmodern.
Creating Postmodern Interiors
- When creating postmodern interiors, it is important to understand that the term “postmodern” refers to a specific design style and period rather than simply a period after the postwar, modern period. If this distinction is made, postmodern interiors will include the characteristics described previously: bold colors, disturbing juxtapositions of patterns, stripes, animal prints, fluorescent colors and other elements that can challenge the serenity of an interior space. Designer Karl Lagerfeld, whose Monaco apartment was completely furnished with pieces designed by the Memphis group, noted that “Memphis tried to breathe fresh air into the word ‘design’ … what I like about all the Memphis is the humor of it.”
Postmodern Design Now
- Perhaps the biggest single challenge in choosing postmodern interior colors is making the distinction between the genuinely postmodern and the merely “after modern.” Postmodern design recognizes the values of history, historic details, and local and regional historic contexts, and rejects the belief that modern design could provide a solution to all environments and design challenges. In the true sense of the postmodern, its colors, patterns, strategies and beliefs are drawn not from the time period of the postwar, but from the artistic and design rejections of the stark minimalism of postwar European design and the influences modernism had on design thinking. Its bold prints, juxtaposed colors, jarring contradictions and playful approaches would signify a truly postmodern interior. When thinking “after modern,” think of clean lines, whites and neutrals, but when designing a truly postmodern interior, a fluorescent pink, green or blue wall coupled with a bold animal print and a black-and-white-striped feature wall would really define a space.
- Consider what elements are appropriate for the office user. A computer programmer needs ergonomic furnishings. A contractor might need large tables for spreading plans on.
- Paint the walls a neutral color like beige, pale blue or soft green. Hang photographs or bold artwork on the walls. Rotate the art twice a year to keep it fresh.
- Use low-pile carpeting in neutral colors. Accent the carpet with throw rugs in informal seating areas.
- Install floor-to-ceiling shelving for books, mementos and decorative pieces. Put doors on one section to hide filing cabinets and computer peripherals like printers and fax machines. Use matching baskets for storage of items that otherwise create clutter.
- Choose a desk that addresses the worker’s needs. Customize the height of desks and chairs to meet special needs. Use a chair that’s both ergonomic and attractive.
- Select ergonomic furniture. Create a seating area away from the desk with a sofa or two chairs and a coffee table for a less formal workspace. Make a separate work station for computer work that can be closed in a cabinet in offices where computers aren’t the primary work tools.
- Position plants around the office to help keep the air clean, and to soften the decor. Choose hardy plants that will handle low-light situations.
- Hang sheer drapes to diffuse sunlight. Position the desk so that the sun never shines directly into the eyes of the office worker. Provide both overhead lighting and spot lighting on desks and in seating areas.
Modern Lounge Bar
- Turn spaces into a trendy, modern lounge bar. White furniture—sofas, lounge chairs and bar stools—create a comfortable, modern atmosphere. Consider white booths to maximize guests’ comfort. Limit the number of colors used—a modern design should be sleek and clean. Wooden floors and walls are a nice contrast against the white furniture. Incorporate geometric designs on the bar—perhaps in the tile—or as wall art. Add a modest pop of color by using uplights on the walls—choose from a variety of colors, from turquoise to pink or green.
Music-inspired Lounge Bar
- If the lounge provides live music, then carry this music theme throughout the design of the venue. A classic black and white look works well for a music-inspired lounge bar. Create seating areas with a mix of furniture—from sofas and loveseats to high-top tables and chairs. Use music-themed art throughout the lounge bar. Add framed records or images of classic music acts such as the Beatles, Eagles or the Who to the walls. Choose artists that align with the live music at your lounge. Hang such instruments as guitars on the walls. For an added touch, play music that matches the theme, which creates a welcoming environment for fans of that music genre.
Moroccan Lounge Bar
- Bring a taste of the Middle East to your lounge bar. Moroccan-inspired designs embrace rich colors and fabrics and ornate accessories. Deep reds, oranges and purples work well for the walls—consider painting different sections of your lounge in different colors for some contrast. Use fabrics in the same colors or gold as curtains, or drape this fabric from the ceiling. Include throw pillows on sofas—or use large pillows as the furniture themselves. Find ornate gold accessories to display on tables and on the walls. Wooden tables and chairs work well for the Moroccan design as well.
Switch Around Furniture
- If you have a rustic wood dining-room set — one that you might expect to see on “Little House on the Prairie” reruns, for example — wipe the charming farmhouse vision from mind by envisioning it with different chairs. If you’re going for a bold, modern look, pair the table with bright-red, aqua or clear-acrylic chairs, or paint the existing ones, if you like. If you’re all about sleek and simple, go with molded white stacking chairs with chrome legs. The idea is to create a less-expected look, which helps turn a melodramatic space into a play on modern.
Jazz Up the Walls
- Something as simple as an updated feature wall can rock your space into current times or even beyond. If you’re working with pale wood, such as pastoral pine, paint the wall that faces you as you enter in contrasting, won’t-be-ignored, contemporary black, wild-grape purple or cool, electric blue. For more oomph, paint wide dual-colored, eyebrow-raising, horizontal stripes or a standout abstract mural from floor to ceiling. An unexpected high-contrast backdrop elevates wood furniture, giving it stylish zing — like putting your own freestyle moves on the foxtrot. If you’re working with dark wood, such as walnut pieces, use lemon- or lime-colored paint, or wallpaper with a large, bright-on-white geometric pattern for kicked-up contrast. For a visually subdued, yet modern take, Trendir suggests a monochromatic palette, blending wood, walls and metal elements of like tones or shades.
Soften With Window Dressings
- When you’re going for an updated vibe in a room with a lot of wood furniture, the last thing you should dress your windows with is more wood or wood-like materials, such as wood-slat, bamboo or hemp blinds or shutters. Instead, soften the room with linen drapes, or use white, light-filtering, accordion-slat honeycomb blinds. You could even leave the windows bare if they have thermal, low-emissivity glass and good-looking moldings, to present a daring, clean-lined, open take on modern design. Make your windows stand out with pure-white trim that reflects more light, and contrasts with wood and modern wall colors.
Accessorize With Sparkle
- Wood furniture provides some of the room’s texture, but not the type you need for a modern vibe. So think “shine.” Fill the space with glass tables, crystal ornaments and metal. Then soften the look with fabrics in the room’s accent colors, from the chenille throw pillows to the retro-mod shag area rugs or luxurious, high-thread-count bedding. As for fabric patterns, skip Old World floral or paisley prints in favor of more modern abstract designs — ikat, polka-dots, herringbone or stripes, for starters.
Update the Lighting
- Lighting may be more important to updated style than you realize. Use up-to-date, unanticipated lighting bling — such as a row of colorful pendants or a chrome chandelier if the space allows — over a coffee table at eye level, or above each bedside table. Sufficient lighting from daylight or full-spectrum bulbs brightens your home, and a bright home seems less dreary and dated — uplifting wood effects into current times.
- Purchase a loft bed. Loft beds are perfect for teens, and if you have high bedroom ceilings, they are an excellent way to take advantage of vertical space. There are an unlimited number of possibilities for what can be done with the space beneath. Tailor it to your child’s personal interests and wishes for the space.
- Utilize under the bed for storage. If a loft bed is just too high off the floor for your teen, there are other things you can do to better utilize the space under a normal bed. You can lift the bed six to 12 inches off the floor with bed lifts and insert drawer units for clothing and shoe storage. This will eliminate the need for a bulky dresser in the bedroom.
- Be creative in your use of closet space. If you still need drawer space in your bedroom, consider placing a low dresser in the closet. Longer items can hang on the sides, and short clothing items like shirts, skirts, and shorts can hang above the dresser. If your teen is not a clotheshorse, and under bed and other storage is sufficient, consider building out all or a portion of the closet into a homework/office area.
- Install built-in Furniture. Built-in furniture can take the place of bulky furniture items. A bedside wall shelf takes up a lot less space than nightstand. An awkward dormer can be fitted with window seat or desk. A wall unit can be built around the bedroom windows that will provide all of the storage your teenager needs.
- Push all furniture against the wall so that you have a large space in the middle of the room. That creates the illusion of more space.
- Do some informal research about kosher kitchens. Speak with neighbors, friends and community members with the goal of assessing what works and what doesn’t work. Explain that you’re in the process of redoing your kitchen and want feedback and advice. If your knowledge of kashrut — kosher dietary laws — is limited, meet with a competent rabbinic authority who can review the laws and explain how they apply in practice.
- Analyze your current kitchen space. Designate completely separate meat and dairy zones, each zone having its own countertop, dishwasher, oven, drawers for utensils and cabinets for storage of pots and dishes.
- Plan to install separate meat and dairy sinks, if possible. If the two sinks are adjoining, you’ll need to take measures to prevent water and food from splashing between the two areas. Opt for stainless steel basins, so they can be kashered — or prepared — for use on Passover, when appliances and utensils must be completely free of food made of fermented grain. The process of kashering a sink for Passover involves cleaning the sink thoroughly, letting it sit unused for 24 hours and dousing it with boiling water. Sinks made of porcelain cannot be kashered in this manner, according to Jewish law. They must be lined with contact paper or covered with a plastic sink insert.
- Opt for pure granite or stone countertops, which you can kasher for Passover. Some other counter surfaces — such as laminate — can’t be kashered and must be covered with a durable and thick material, such as corrugated cardboard or plastic.
- Choose appliances that suit an observant Jewish lifestyle. Some manufacturers offer refrigerators, ovens and stoves that feature a “Sabbath Mode” for use on Shabbat and the holidays. If you want this feature, look for appliances that are properly certified by a reputable rabbinic organization. If you can afford — or have room for — only one oven, opt for a self-cleaning model that allows you to use the oven for meat and dairy. If you normally use the oven for meat, the self-cleaning feature lets you kasher — or prepare — the oven easily for dairy cooking.
- Plan to install wall cabinets that extend up to the ceiling. You’ll need plenty of storage space to accommodate double sets of pots, dishes and utensils. You can use hard-to-reach uppermost cabinets to store infrequently used kitchenware, including Passover items.
- Designate your kitchen table as either “meat” or “dairy” and devise a method for eating food of the other type. For example, if you decide the surface is for meat, plan to use place mats or a tablecloth when you eat dairy foods at the table.
- The very first things you are going to need to do to design your kitchen floor plan is a tape measure, pencil and graph paper.
- Take careful measurements of your kitchen. Be sure when measuring your kitchen that you measure from kitchen wall to kitchen wall, not from the kitchen cabinets.
Mark all of your wall measurements on your graph paper to make your kitchen floor plan. Be sure that each square on your graph paper represents one foot or 6 inches so that your floor plan is a good representation of what your kitchen looks like. It is important to not only draw the line but to mark the exact measurements above the line.
Next you will need to take careful measurements of your doors and windows and draw them on your graph paper kitchen layout.
If there are any other structures in the kitchen that should be noted, be sure to do so. For example, if your chimney runs through your kitchen, be sure to mark that.
Now it is a good time to measure from floor to ceiling and mark that in your sidelines.
- After you have taken all your measurements of your kitchen it is time to start designing your layout of your kitchen using a floor plan you will build on line.
IKEA offers a very helpful free kitchen planner on line at www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/splashplanners.html.
Smart Draw offers a really helpful free trial download program at http://www.smartdraw.com/specials/kitchendesign.asp.
Floor planner is a lot of fun and is free. Check them out at http://www.floorplanner.com/.
- Your kitchen design is on its way! On these websites you will be able to insert kitchen appliances and kitchen cabinets into your floor plan that you designed!
- If you haven’t yet started researching your kitchen appliances, now is the time to do so, so that you have all the measurements you need to design your beautiful new kitchen!
Egyptian interiors usually are a combination of traditional European designs and Egypt’s own historical flourishes of hieroglyphics, statues and ancient religious icons. While this confluence of cultures is still indicative of traditional Egyptian design, in the first decade of the 21st century, Egyptian designers, particularly in furniture design, are developing a style apart from European influence. Whether old world or modern, the color palette is rich in gold, green and red, with creamy whites and reedy yellows for accent.
- A traditional Egyptian interior design is laden with large furniture, area rugs and bold-colored fabrics. Adapt this style by selecting intricately carved furnishings in traditional European styles, with particular emphasis on French styles such as baroque and rococo. Use two to three couches, including chaise lounges, in the living room. In the bedroom, select large beds with high headboards in dark wood.If possible, add marble flooring and layer it in thick, graphically designed area rugs depicting Egyptian cultural symbols. Scatter large floor pillows around the room.
Add floor-to-ceiling curtains for window treatments. Select either silk or linen fabric for the curtains, and include a cornice board upholstered in the same material.
Use artwork depicting ancient Egyptian gods, such as Bast the cat goddess and Isis the Egyptian mother goddess. The artwork can take the form of a wall mural and tell the story depicting that particular god’s adventures or relationship to the people of Egypt.
- Egyptian decorating schemes now include not only the traditional gold, red and green, but also purple, orange and blue. Furnishings are leaner, yet still exhibit intricate craftsmanship.Select leather couches with clean lines but lots of detail, such as tucked arms, hidden feet and graphic patterns stitched into the material. Complement these with glass-topped tables sporting legs made from bamboo or plastic. Include stools with the traditional X-shaped legs, but add upholstery or padding using linen or cotton in a bold pattern.
Select wood flooring or stone tiles and area rugs with graphic patterns in lighter shades of blue and red. Use reed or bamboo Roman-style shades for window treatments, adding drapery only in the bedrooms for light control.
The contemporary Egyptian interior includes colored plastic furniture, particularly chairs to accompany dining tables with glass tops and brass or metal legs. Mix the materials throughout the design, with emphasis on sleek, but curving lines.
Include traditional references to Egyptian culture by displaying antiques and artifacts that are uniquely Egyptian, such as grillwork lanterns and statues of Egyptian gods. Use these sparingly, however, promoting flow and open space throughout the design.
- In both traditional and modern Egyptian design, the cultural artwork of that country plays an important role. Framed paintings and prints are not as common in design schemes as painted wall murals and wall reliefs, bronzed statues and clay pottery of considerable size.When developing an Egyptian decor, look for statues, busts and pottery, and give each piece a prominent position. These items are not considered accessories but rather a sign of respect to the gods, goddesses and artisans of the past and present.
International Institute of Fashion Design
- The International Institute of Fashion Design (INIFD) offers several degrees in interior design. In addition to the three-year bachelor’s degree, it offers one- and two-year diplomas and one- and two-year professional certificates.
There are two branches of INIFD in Pune: Kothrud and Koregaon Park. The Koregaon Park branch is located near the Mula-Mutha River, and the Kothrud branch is about four miles farther southwest.
Paud Road, Kothrud
Pune 411 038
011 91 (20) 2546 1278
INIFD-Koregaon Park6, Madhuban Society
2nd Floor, Lane No. 5
Pune 411 001
Phone: 011 91 (20) 6522 0495
Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Architecture for Women
- Though primarily an architecture school, the Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Architecture for Women (BNCA) also offers a diploma in computer-aided interior design. It is a four-year program conducted in partnership with the South Bank Institute of Technology in Queensland, Australia.
Only 40 students are accepted into the program each year. In addition to submitting a written application, the top 50 students are interviewed by a panel of academics.
Cummins College Campus
011 91 (20) 2547 4062
Vishwakarma Creative-i College
- Located about three miles south of Koregaon Park, the Vishwakarma Creative-i College offers a three-year bachelor of science degree in interior design. Though computer-aided design curriculum is included, it isn’t introduced until year three.
In addition to standard interior design courses, Vishwakarma also requires each student to prepare and present a thesis project that demonstrates a good understanding of basic design concepts, as well as individual creativity and expression.
Vishwakarma Creative-i College
Ganga Dham Comm. Phase 1
Sr. No. 612-615, Lullanagar Bibwewadi Road
Pune 411 037
011 91 (99) 2250 4372
Indian Fashion Academy
- The Indian Fashion Academy has campuses throughout India, including one in Pune. It offers a diploma in interior design for the equivalent of about $320, as of June 2010. Interested students can register for the course online.
Indian Fashion Academy – Pune Branch
305 FM City Centre, Mumbai Pune Highway
011 91 (20) 2746 1863
- The term “contemporary” in reference to interior design and furniture began in the middle of the 20th century, and has been used since to refer to design trends of the current day that are based on the original.
- At the end of the first decade of the 21st century, contemporary design typically described furniture in the modern style made of wood, chrome, metal and glass, in rooms that often use industrial materials. The industrial component was not part of the original 1950s mid-century modern.
- Contemporary design is sleek and uncluttered, and relies on its clean lines and quality materials for its distinctive character, not on carving or ornate embelllishment. Sectionals and modular elements are frequently used.
- Mid-century modern furniture was moderate in size. Contemporary design during the first decade of the 21st century expanded some in size.
- Colors popular at mid-century were oranges, turquoise, cream, browns and beiges. As time progressed, other colors have been added to the pallet–particularly bright, vibrant tones.
- Contemporary design will continue to evolve as the decades pass, and will change to reflect changes in society and culture.
1930s Era Bedroom Color Schemes
- In the homes of middle and upper class citizens, somber colors were the look of the era. Earthtones, such as coffee browns and cool creams, dominated much of the design aesthetic with flashes of color reserved for smaller intricate items with the overall intent being to draw the viewer’s eye. The 1930s bedroom color schemes made significant use of light and shadow to give added depth of character. By the 1930s, electric home features, such as lighting fixtures, became widely available to the middle classes, and their design became refined to the point where lighting was more readily integrated into home decor. The overall effect was a dark and moody but cozy look. Bedspreads and upholstery generally matched the somber color schemes of the other aspects of the room, although deep, rich reds were also favorite choices for fabric in the era.
Synthetic Decor in the 1930s
- Furniture of the 1930s was still largely composed of quality hardwoods as well as spring and cotton stuffed upholstery. In a bedroom setting, this would generally mean hardwood constructed bed frames and side tables, dressers and makeup stands — all in deep rich hues. Synthetic fibers, such as plastic derivatives, were becoming more and more commonplace by the 1930s. Specific products, such as polystyrene and acrylic resin, had just hit the market, meaning that some plastic objects which would in modern design be considered rather gaudy, such as acrylic lamps, might then have been status items or otherwise considered quality furniture. Polyethylene, one of the more durable and most common modern classic materials, was not yet invented; so when designing a period specific 1930s bedroom, take into account which synthetic materials existed at the time.
Art Deco: An Evolution of Art Nouveau and English Design Sensibility
- Art Deco evolved from two separate schools of influence. The first is the Victorian stylings of the English, and the second was the Art Nouveau movement that originated in France. The Victorian style, when deconstructed to its simplest aspects, chiefly values a balance of comfort and ornate craftsmanship. By contrast, the Art Nouveau furniture introduced by the French was highly ornate, sometimes to a level of impracticality, although it also demonstrated a high degree of sculpture-like craftsmanship in woodcarving, such as the common leaf designs of the style. Art Deco, by contrast, removed many of the frivolous, ornate aspects from both older styles while keeping the clean shapes and the comfortable practicality. In part, the demand for decorative and artistic furniture was driven by a strong American middle class in 1925 when the Art Deco style was formally announced by the French Exposition Internationale; these consumers sought to emulate the more expensive furniture available to the wealthy. While the design sensibility originated as a mimicry of other styles, it eventually evolved into a more widespread and distinctive style.
Industrial Drives Behind Art Deco
- As much as the furniture and design industries in the 1930s tried to popularize the image of Art Deco, it was fundamentally a style based upon convenient mass production. The simplistic mass production processes of the time made highly ornate work an extremely expensive proposition; therefore, an aesthetic of simplicity was not only a matter of style but a matter of cost consideration and good business practice. For instance, it takes far longer to carve a single ornate sofa than it does to simply saw and sand it for a clean, geometric look. The same design consideration applied to much of the interior design and furniture industry at the time, which gave rise to a host of simple, clean lined and practical items found in the 1930s bedroom.
Purchasing a complete matched suite of furniture unifies the room better than a mix of furniture pieces does, and provides a blank canvas in which to begin decorating.
Buy a king-size bed. King-size beds are the largest beds in regard to length, which is more comfortable for taller men. A bed of this size also acts as a focal point in the room.
Place a sleek chest at the foot of the bed. This provides a place to store extra blankets.
If there is wall space opposite the bed, consider mounting a flat-panel television to the wall. If this isn’t possible, try adding an entertainment center. In contemporary design, electronics often take the place of art in a room.
Roman Rozenblyum/Demand Media
Bed linens should consist of basic bedding along with a comforter, bed skirt and pillow shams. Purchase a matched set for the most cohesiveness. When purchasing a bed skirt, look for one that is tailored as opposed to ruffled. This is more masculine and more fitting in a contemporary bedroom.
Window treatments should consist of tailored drapes and valance. Blinds can also be used, but drapes add an air of refinement and softness that is more relaxing in a bedroom.
Roman Rozenblyum/Demand Media
When the chosen color scheme is gray, black or white, consider a large piece of colored artwork over the bed. In a cool color scheme, a bit of color is usually necessary to prevent the room from feeling drab and somber.
- Many modern study rooms stick with extremely basic colors, such as white, black and gray. However, if such sterility is not your preference when creating a modern room, choose two or three accent colors that complement each other. Examples include red, orange and black or yellow, purple and brown.
Limit exposure to alternative colors or try to work with them. For example, a modern study room in red and gray is more difficult to pull off if the view from the study is a lush forest. In that case, switch to a green and brown color scheme. Look for and remove objects that provide an unwanted cluster of color, like a stack of books or file folders, by placing them in an enclosed space like a cabinet.
- Most modern rooms rely on color and shapes and use very few patterns. But you can introduce patterns through throw pillows, rugs, wallpaper and modern art. Keep the color of patterned pieces consistent with the designated basic color scheme. To keep the design simple and clean, choose only one pattern style or print. For example, do not mix stripes or polka dots with toile: Otherwise, the study room will lose it’s modern aesthetic.
- While Victorian design showcases curvaceous furniture, modern furniture is geometric and generally free from ornamentation. Modern couches, desks, file cabinets and wall units, for example, are often cubic or rectangular. You may, however, see a plastic desk chair with a curvy back or egg-shaped design.
Select the wall unit, desk, couch and cabinet in the most neutral color in your designated color palette (i.e., white, black or brown). Keep pieces simple and upholstered pieces low to the ground. Avoid loud furniture pieces that have patterns or are bright in color. Though modern furniture pieces might seem safe or boring, other aspects of the design can add vibrancy and character to the room.
- One of the most essential aspects of modern design is its austerity. Do not clutter the room with unnecessary furniture or accessories. The eye should focus on key points of the room, like a unique light fixture or textured wallpaper, not a cork bulletin board loaded with memos. Keep the desk space tidy: If you are not a naturally organized or clean person, reconsider your choice of aesthetic. The room should show plenty of floor and wall space.
- Modern spaces have much cleaner, crisper lighting than traditional old world studies basked in a golden hue. Choose white light bulbs and opt for large windows that provide natural sunlight. Avoid opulent, heavy lamps in dark wood and goldtones and instead look for light fixtures with clean lines in basic colors of black, steel gray or white. If your budget allows it, choose a modern light fixture that plays with shape: For example, look for a chandelier consisting of a cluster of light bulbs or monochromatic teardrop light fixtures.
- Plot your kitchen measurements on graph paper. Make one square on the paper equal 1 square foot of your kitchen. Mark doors, windows, pipes, power outlets and other immovable fixtures on your plan.
- Allocate space for your cabinets, which are the dominant feature of any kitchen. Ensure that you have areas for preparing food, cooking, serving and washing up. Make a list of your appliances — as a minimum you will need a cooker, sink and refrigerator — and decide where they will go. Keep appliances away from the door.
- Get rid of unnecessary appliances and other items to save space and reduce clutter. Replace full-size appliances with smaller models, such as a slim dishwasher. Install underfloor heating if your budget stretches to it, which frees the floor space a radiator takes up. A wall-mounted radiator is a cheaper option.
- Install tall cabinets if you have high ceilings in the room. Light-colored cabinets will make the room look more spacious. Store seasonal or seldom-used items up high.
- Push a fold-down table against one wall, with stools tucked beneath it. Prepare food on cutting boards on the table if counter space is extremely limited.
- Install a goose-necked faucet over a small sink to make it easier to fill large pots.
- Attach mirrored tiles to the backsplash to give the illusion of more space.
- Lay comfortable flooring for kitchen staff who stand for long periods. Make sure it’s washable and can be sanitized. Use wall coverings like enamel paint that can be washed.
- Choose overhead lighting that will illuminate all parts of the room, including walk-in coolers and freezers. Install hood fans over the stoves and fryers and invest in a system that will ventilate the entire room.
- Place fire extinguishers within easy reach of each work station and install a sprinkler system.
- Put in walk-in freezers and coolers in a large-scale commercial kitchen. Smaller kitchens might not need very large coolers. A walk-in cooler is a must for kitchens that serve many meals a day and need to keep food fresh. Build a large pantry for dry goods.
- Install prep sinks, pot-washing sinks and commercial dishwashers. Keep the wash areas separate from the food-preparation areas.
- Make sure there are at least three cooking stations. Commercial kitchens need a flat-top, deep fryers and gas-fired stoves at a minimum. Convection ovens, rotisseries and microwaves are necessary in some kitchens. Install a wood-burning stove that can reach very high temperatures in a pizza restaurant.
- Place stainless steel counters far enough apart so that kitchen staff can comfortably do food preparation without getting in each other’s way. Leave open shelving under the counters for pot storage.
- Outfit the kitchen with small appliances, pots and pans, knives and kitchen utensils. Build open shelves for serving plates and bowls.
- Add a locker room near the kitchen for staff to change in and for storage of dirty towels and aprons that will go to the laundry. Build a closet for clean linens.
The best designs for kitchen layouts take into consideration how a kitchen is used on a daily basis and what arrangement of cabinets, appliances, and work areas will function most efficiently. Whether it’s a new kitchen design or a kitchen remodel, how you design a kitchen layout will establish the foundation for all the other design elements that will go into the room.
- Determine the basic floor plan. Kitchen layouts typically fall into the following categories:
• One wall kitchen — appliances and cabinets along one wall
• Galley kitchen (a.k.a. corridor kitchen) — appliances and cabinets along two walls facing each other
• L-shaped kitchen — wall cabinets and appliances form an “L”
• U-shaped kitchen — wall cabinets and appliances form a “U”
• Island kitchen — an L- or U-shaped kitchen with the addition of an island
• Peninsula kitchen — one cabinet wall is open to another space
- Design the work triangle. Based on research in the 1950s, the most-used work areas in the kitchen are at the sink, stove, and refrigerator. The concept of a work triangle optimizes the flow between those work areas for the most efficiency — they shouldn’t be too close together or too far apart.
- Decide on how many prep areas are needed. If multiple cooks will be using the space, design your kitchen with enough room for a second sink, and make sure you have extra room for chopping and dicing.
- Decide what other functions will take place in the kitchen. Today’s kitchens are the busiest rooms in the house. In addition to cooking features, will you need a separate pantry, a home office, or a place to watch TV?
- Lay out the design on graph paper. Use manufacturer’s specifications to make sure you have the correct measurements of all your appliances and cabinets. Also consider using kitchen design software. These programs include templates with basic designs, and you can add your own ideas to create the kitchen of your dreams. These programs also check for clearances and other architectural and building code essentials.